15 March, 2017
Most of you will know how Huh posts work. The deal is to unravel the clues on show, explaining how the wordplay operates. Because I can't - or nor fully. Some elements are graspable, but the overall effect is...well...huh?
See if you can undo my bewilderment, from Barbados to fescue, revealing any clue's mechanics. And then as your Huh bonus, a virtual bag of jelly snakes to the person who can craft the classier clue for any of these same seven solutions. Thanks in advance.
1. Accept just good rating perhaps for holiday destination = BARBADOS [Times 10,790]
2. Hectic last quarter for Balearic Isle heads = MANIC [Sunday Times 1018]
3. Where one used to see 7 [EMCEE] or 11 [WEED] in flight? = ON THE WING [Sunday Times 1039 - those inserted words are the solutions to the potential cross-refs.]
4. Component of world trade? = MERCURY SWITCH [Times 10,818]
5. Cut maize perhaps and wrap = SWATHE [Times 10,811]
6. Couple ending up with one letter = PHI [Sunday Times 1038]
7. Iron rod and spade to cut grass = FESCUE [Sunday Times 1038]