25 November, 2020
Eight more brain-curlers for you. These Times clues hide their secrets closely. While I can parse most in part, there remains some elements I'm still not grasping, needing your help to seal the deal.
What allusion has eluded me? Which nuance has missed my radar? And for those feeling extra-cluey, can you compile a rival clue for any of these eight solutions? Thanks in advance.
1. Fetch strong drink = DOUBLE [Times 11916]
2. Getting back, having left bed for cat = PUMA [same puzzle]
3. One shoe, not quite the pair, going with it = SABOT 
4. Go off melon, maybe, unpleasant at first for the tongue = URDU 
5. Do this after start to alarm and confuse = ADDLE
6. Statements to the press not allowed in Israel = HANDOUTS
7. Our lot, blue at the extremities, are freezing! = SUSPEND 
8. In a sorry state, having failed to rise = SAD