2 June, 2021
Another plea for help, with eight cryptic clues that remain evasive in their elements. I have the answer, I reckon, but not every bit of wordplay to get me there. Or a nuance has slipped my grasp.
The first four samples hail from a Times compendium [published 2016], while the rest are from the daily media churn. Any insights would be welcome. And feel free to craft your own clues, using any of the same solutions.
1. Man given short measure = VALET
2. Simple Simon and what he didn’t have for such a pie = SAPID
3. Security device for phone one lifts quickly for emergency = SCRAMBLER
4. No persons in part of office = NONE
5. Sort of terror about to overwhelm model = AS IT WERE
6. Memorial for Bradley? = HEADSTONE
7. Camp, say, where you can park for a drink = LAGER
8. Form of insect – imagines more than one = IMAGO