23 May, 2012
Before I launch this idolatrous miniseries, a big thanks to Dabbler Anthony for sending through 100 superb Paul clues, as handpicked from the setter’s Guardian collection. What you see below are seven gems, in alphabetical order, with two lots of seven to run in the coming week.
Then, once you have solved, enjoyed, absorbed the virtuoso chops of John Halpern (alias Paul), our next Storm will dare you to outshine him. More about that contest next week. In the meantime, relish these seven – and see how many you can crack.
(For the record, my outright fave is Clue #4 – ingenious. Mind you, #7 staggers too.) Anyhow, rather than blurt, may be more genial to offer insights in the forum to those still lost.
- An idiot fails with another D+ (8)
- Break down completely when Spooner calls me an old codger (4,5)
- Covering people in manure is sane (6,6)
- Death produced by coma, we hear? (7)
- Elected body which should make a difference? Not entirely. Endless crawlers (retired) (7)
- Figure to spell misery without a Y (7)
- I haven’t a clue for dictator? (4,3,8)
Solution next Paul post. And three cheers for archivist Anthony.